5.18.2008

So, I've made it to Colorado. After sorting out things in South Bend, A and I drove up to MN to visit the family. On Saturday we headed up to the cabin, where we still had about 15 feet of snow pushed up in front of our cabin.

After putting together a mothers-day dinner, we decided to go sailing on Sunday. Since the passenger areas of my sailboat aren't very dry, we put A in my new drysuit, and I wore my drytop. Unfortunately for A, we only had one fleece hat.


It was a fun trip though, and we had good winds. We stayed at the lake through Monday, and my dad and I managed to get out fishing once. Then A's brother flew into MN and the two of them drove out to Sheridan, WY. I had dinner with the grandparents, went shopping with mom, and then crashed on a friend's house in MSP. On Tuesday, I was on the road by 7 for my 13 hour drive. The drive was actually a lot smoother than I had expected; I listened to Obama's Audacity of Hope, which was pleasantly long and ate up a lot of time. Interesting book too. I crashed on a friend's couch, and then spent the next day bumming around Denver on my bike, running errands. On Thursday I got a whitewater run in, and then had dinner with A and her brother at the Columbine Lounge, where you ordered a steak from the chef at the front counter, paid for your meal, and within a few minutes a sizzling piece of meat shows up at your table. Great place.

Though we had originally planned to take in some culture, Friday was spent at the Coors Brewery, which had a pretty interesting tour. We grabbed lunch, and then I moved in to my new apartment. It's cozy, and not too claustrophobic for a studio apartment. To boot, it's less than a mile from work, and a >10 minute bike ride.

Shiney things at the brewery:




I was able to get a beautiful kayak run in up by Vail on Saturday, and today A and I are running errands and trying to get our bearings. Work starts tomorrow.